Vehicles with exempt plates are not necessarily exempt from paying tolls. State law, bond covenants and Mobility Authority policy limit toll free travel to the following:
Emergency and Military Vehicles
- Fire department and police vehicles, public or private ambulances, municipal department or public service corporation emergency vehicles
- Private vehicles of volunteer firefighters or certified emergency medical services employees or volunteers when responding to a fire alarm or medical emergency
- Industrial emergency response vehicles when responding to an emergency
- Vehicles of blood or tissue banks when making deliveries of blood, drugs, medicines, or organs
Public Transportation Vehicles
- Public transportation vehicles owned or operated by the Brownsville Urban System and Brownsville Metro with a capacity of 16 or more individuals.
- CCRMA is waiving tolls on CCRMA toll roads for eligible veterans, who must be in a vehicle registered with the State of Texas and displaying a qualified specialty license plate. Qualifying Texas license plates are Disabled Veterans, Purple Heart, Medal of Honor, and Medal of Valor.
If you qualify, please contact us and provide your vehicle information and a copy of your letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs.
If you have questions or require assistance to determine your eligibility for an exemption, please contact us.